Opening: Machine Learning Engineer
Who we are
Dessa is a technology company transforming the way enterprises work with AI around the world. Based in Toronto, Dessa collaborates with enterprise teams across industries to blueprint, build and deploy customized AI solutions that reinvent what’s possible for business. The company has a diverse and growing team of technical and business experts in applied AI, including Alex Krizhevsky, Dessa’s Technical Advisor and one of the field’s most singular contributors. Dessa’s creation of enterprise AI solutions is powered by our end-to-end platform Foundations.
We are also an active player in the AI community, and have partnerships with industry leaders including NVIDIA, the Vector Institute and Amazon Web Services. In 2017, we were named AI Company of the Year by the DFI Institute and received $9 million in Series A funding. Until summer 2018, the company was known as DeepLearni.ng.
What is the opportunity?
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer who is passionate about creating solutions with massive impact, solving challenging real-world problems, and working in unexplored areas, continuous improvement and Agile development. Applied machine learning experience in driving business value from large datasets in Enterprise environments is a must.
Working with a diverse range of clients across industry verticals, you will have the opportunity to become a leading expert in delivering transformative machine learning solutions to industry that deliver real-world results. As part of a vibrant and growing team, you will be at the frontier of the AI revolution.
What will you do?
- Take charge and manage important state-of-the-art machine learning and deep learning projects with billions of data points from day one
- Collaborate with enterprise clients to customize machine learning solutions for their distinct business requirements
- Design and develop different machine learning systems, insights, and algorithms, and then prototype, deploy to production, and test them to ensure all client’s business needs are covered
- Manage overall software implementation lifecycles of projects, ensuring compliance with existing and future enterprise implementation standards
- Facilitate the deployment and configuration of Dessa's software applications
- Support the deployment team’s preparation of work plans, milestones, resource needs according to Dessa's standard methods and practices
- Communicate ideas, updates, capabilities, and workflows to various business stakeholders as well as your fellow Dessa team members
What do you need to succeed?
- 3+ years of applied machine learning experience working with live datasets in Enterprise-level environments solving real-world problems using different approaches and techniques
- Experience leading teams in deploying machine learning projects in enterprises
- Proven prior experience working with very large datasets and live production systems where your ML solutions have made a real impact with measurable implications
- An Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Math, or similar graduate degree
- Effective client-focused communication skills and comfort in interacting with diverse technical and business stakeholders at all levels
- Proven hands-on experience with Python Machine Learning libraries, such as TensorFlow, and PyTorch, distributed computing frameworks such as Spark, and NoSQL databases such as Cassandra and MongoDB
- Demonstrable understanding of and passion for statistics, probability theory, and data modeling, with a penchant for great algorithm design and strong CS fundamentals
- Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of people, and in a rapidly changing multi-disciplinary work environment
Nice to have:
- Demonstrable understanding of deep learning
- Experience with semi-supervised, reinforcement learning, active learning, or natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience implementing high-performance Service Oriented Architectures
- Expertise with Docker or Kubernetes
- Contributions to open-source or personal projects, combined with an active voice on the AI/ML/DL scene such as record of published research papers, involvement at conferences/meetups/online teaching, etc.
- Experience working in one or more of the following sectors: banking, insurance, telecommunications
What’s in it for you?
- Work with purpose: contribute to deploying machine learning models that drive real business impact across industry verticals
- Opportunity to work with leading machine learning experts on cutting-edge problems
- Opportunities to develop relationships with a variety of industry decision-makers, subject-matter experts, software developers, and machine learning specialists
- Opportunity to attend exclusive seminars at the Vector Institute with world renowned researchers in deep learning and AI
- Split time between your work duties and pursuing personal machine learning passion projects
- Participate in feats of strength and lively company events that build your career toolkit while also enjoying a work-life balance
- Enjoy a comfortable company work environment located in downtown Toronto that encourages self-expression, creativity, honesty, and learning
- Amazing quality of life benefits: healthy snacks, gym memberships, travel accommodations, great health benefits, and more!
- Stock options possible after you have proven your impact on the job
- As needed: sponsorship for work visas
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application! Please apply directly online by sending your resume and cover letter addressed to the Hiring Manager. Please note that we will be in touch with applicants that make it to the next phase of the interview process directly.
By submitting your CV and application to this role, you authorize Dessa to store your information in our internal recruitment database and to reach out to you as necessary for the purpose of further evaluating your qualifications for this or other career opportunities at the company.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.